Wednesday 1 May 2019

OUGD603 - Personal Branding - Initial Ideas (Logo design)

Having previously started a design for a website, I felt that some of these elements could be used in a more up to date version of my self branding. However, as my practice has significantly changed in its direction and types of work it would also be important to reinvent a new idea for the personal branding. This way, the identity can reflect my most recent work and who I am as a designer at this point in time.

Starting out with a personal logo design, the idea was to use a font that had been used frequently throughout other briefs and one that would be able to work both in physical promotional material, as well as online digital formats. One of my favourite fonts to use is Helvetica in Bold, as it is iconic to the commercial design sector, is found universally in various different formats and creates a bold impression on its viewer. I felt that this font would work best for updating the logo design I had initially started at the beginning of the year.

This logo shown to the left, was the original design used for the promotion of my website. However, I didn't like how the colours looked in this version.

After revisiting the idea again, I started by dividing the letter 'A'. This was used to reflect the first letter of my name and to add personality to the logo. Focusing on the counter space and open counter space at the bottom of the letter, the finalised logo used a more subtle light blue that could be used on a white background. I found this version to be more appealing as it had less contrasting colours and could be used in a variety of ways. Choosing to focus of the counter space within the letter, gave the viewer a vague idea of what the letter was, and therefore became more subtle.

In addition to the logo design, I decided to experiment by combining elements of a previous brief. This was the personal typographic logo brief, which was created with the intention of adding personal touch to my emails. However, after further thought on the idea it was decided that the signature would act as a logo type design.







No comments:

Post a Comment